01 November, 2012

ThinkPad Tablet: - after 10 months of use

As usual, this is not meant to be full review. I will rather mention some of my personal experience, that might be not mentioned in other reviews.


Overall:
I will call it "classic style". It looks bulky and a bit unattractive. To be honest I was looking after Transformer Prime, so it went unnoticed on first reading. Until I was pointed out the particular features:
  • NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 Dual-Core 1GHz processor
  • pen  with Corning® Gorilla® Glass
  • 64GB storage
  • full-size SDHC slot
  • 3G connectivity
  • regular USB 2.0
  • mini HDMI
  • mini USB... 
  • the rest is typical
  • The price was more than reasonable.
Reasonable performance, battery life is fine as well (~8 hours with WiFi enabled). It feels a bit heavy though... Sound from the speaker is minimalistic, the quality of the microphone over Skype was a bit unimpressive. Screen quality - just fine. It connects quite fast over WiFi, 3G seems to work fine too. I have problem to use the GPS while I have 3G SIM card inserted and I am not the only one with this problem. There are some occasional crashes but in general it works quite fine, but I can't say that it runs stable.


Camera!!!: Well the rear facing camera does not focus. I think it is common for my particular model. I could not convince the service that the camera does not work.

- What do you mean it does not work/focus?
- Well, look on the picture that I just took...
- Well... that is the expected quality...
- But if I try to scan a QR code or bar it does not work, since it cannot focus....
- But, the camera it is not mean to scan QR codes, it is too close that is why it can't focus...

regular USB: This is just perfect. I can hook any regular USB keyboard and use it. I have wireless keyboard with mouse that also works perfectly. So running ConnectBot with port forwarding and VNC and you have a working terminal!


Android 3.1: I got couple of  over the air (OTA) firmware updates as well as battery update. Warning: Use the original provided power adapter for the battery update, otherwise you risk to brick your tablet.

Android 4.0: Yes, it arrived. It is definitively a necessary update.


Battery: Quite reasonable. Most of the time I use it on WiFi, so I have AirPlane mode that switches off the 3G modem. Warning: There are some badly written apps that despite the fact that they are configured not to sync or what so ever they wake the device while on stand by and use the battery substantially. I used GSam Battery Monitor to track down the perpetrators and two unexpected apps came  on top - TED and SygarSync. The first had an option to stop syncing ,the second just kept ignoring my settings. The battery drain was quite noticeable, so I was forced to uninstall it.



Must have applications (my personal):

Quill: Must have application - takes handwritten notes - excellent responsiveness and enough features.

ezPDF: PDF reader with notations features. Some of the nice features that was missing before in Acrobat Reader are now there so probably one can skip that one.

Tasker: I use the tablet mostly over WiFi with some occasional need to connect over 3G (that is why I use prepaid cards for mobile internet). Anyway, I use tasker to automatically switch  the WiFi connection for 3 minutes every hour to sync everything.

Osmand+: Offline maps and navigation.

GSam Battery Monitor: Detailed display of what is using your battery...

No comments: