29 March, 2014

Voltcraft charge manager 410

CM-410 on the left and IPC-1L on the right
Well, as usually, I will only add my personal opinion and the information that usually is not provided.
Some time ago, I bought Voltcraft IPC-1L and wrote about it. Since then (about 3.5 years) I remain more than satisfied from the product.
Recently, I bough some cheap rechargeable batteries (not the ones shown on the picture) that for some reason stopped charging before they ware completely full. I thought that the charger might be broken or about to get broken... So, I bough an upgrade: Voltcraft CM-410. There is (perhaps) better version CM-420 but I was uncertain about some small details.


The old charger, charges with 200 mA by default (it has 500 and 750 mA options as well). The new charger starts from 500 mA (charges also at 750 mA and 1A) (the CM 420 version starts from 1A) and the sticker on the cheap batteries I mentioned above, recommends 200 mA charging current... So, this is why I decided to make a small upgrade with the CM-410 version. Fortunately, they behave well under the new charger "management".

There is one more advantage that I have not fully explored yet - NiZn batteries. Here are briefly the advantages stated on some web pages: 
  • Higher cell voltage of 1.6 V
  • Less self-discharge thanks to higher energy density
  • High power
  • High cycle consistency
  • Good performance at low temperatures
Supported modes:
  • CHARGE    (CHA) = Charge 
  • DISCHARGE (DIS) = Discharge (no maintenance charge!) 
  • CHECK     (CHK) = Discharge -> charge 
  • CYCLE     (CYC) = Charge -> discharge -> charge 
  • ALIVE     (ALV) = Charge -> discharge -> charge -> discharge -> charge
Here are my important points to mention:
Pros: 
It is a high quality product and as I already said before, this is how battery chargers should be done on first place - everything else is just simplification.

Cons:
Only one until now - the size of the charger itself (look on the picture for comparison to the other model)

Update 2017.07: Just to add that I did not get very positive experience with the NiZn batteries. Two of them quite soon dropped to unusable capacity, the other two I tried to use in some wireless thermometers but they were fast to self-discharge (well, as I mentioned before, this kind of devices should be used with regular alkaline batteries). With Li-ion type batteries, it looks like the NiZn batteries will not survive the competition.

2 comments:

Budi said...

I'm asking (not commenting) Which better Voltcraft charge manager 410 vs Nitecore intelligent Charger for charging Ni-Zn AA battery

Uncle Scrooge said...

Well, from all chargers I have written about, only CM-410 is capable to work with NiZN batteries.