20 May, 2016

Synology DS216j + DSM6.0 - first impression


Finally! I bought myself a NAS.
How, did I end up with it since I consider 2-bay NAS as pointless exercise? (I thing that RAID0 is just looking for trouble and RAID1 is too inefficient with respect to provided redundant storage)

So, I was looking for something that is at least 4-bay version (so I can use RAID5 on it)... and they are, of course, considerably more expensive. Looking around, how things change with time, I got the impression that 4 years later I will not want to keep the current hardware since it will be completely outdated. So it will be waste of money to use proper NAS for simple storage + some extra features (I do not mind to have some "Dropbox-like" feature, media center etc.. ) needs[1].

Then again, after long revision of the budget and my needs, I decided to go with 1-bay solution!?! 

Unfortunately, the reviews on the Net for the available 1-bay hardware I found, ware just too disappointing to bare with. And this is how I ended up with using the 2-bay DS216j with single disk.

Why this could be a good choice? If I found myself in a situation that I need more space I can easily add second disk. If I am lucky I might be able to migrate the old disk to the new one, emptying the old slot for further expansion (largest supported disk is 8T). By the time I run out of disk space, it might be just time to buy a new one, presumably better. The 4-bay solution will be easier to expand, but more difficult to abandon because of the price. The question boils down to: Can I justify the money spent on a 4-bay NAS before it will be outdated - I can't! So, here we go.

Update 2016.09.24: As pointed out in the comments, (whit these arguments) DS116 would have been a better choice!

Here is the good and the bad stuff that I have experienced with the NAS, so far.

Pros
  • Sleek design, 1G LAN, two USB3.0 ports, easy to install and configure, intuitive web interface, plenty of features.
  • QuickConnect allows me to access the NAS without opening ports (or UPnP) on the router.
  • SynologyCloudSync Cloud Station is a file sharing service that allows you to synchronize files between a centralized Synology NAS device and multiple client Synology NAS devices, computers and mobiles. In other words, you get "Dropbox-like" features with files residing on your own server with storage as much as you can have on the disk!
  • DS Audio - sort of media center that works rather well for me. I have USB Wireless Audio card hooked on one of the USB ports. The mobile app is also quite OK (except that I need to kill it since I can't close it properly).
  • Download station - works fine to download files initiated from the mobile phone - everything goes directly on the NAS.
  • Firmware updates have been a breeze so far.
  • Quiet as your HDD ;-)
  • So many more features, that I do not use right now...

Cons
  • Frequent wake ups! (every hour or so) I have tried to figure out the reason considering fixed ip, no time synchronization, and almost everything else suggested on the net. It seems that the problem is caused by the router from my Internet provider that is sniffing around too often and I do not how to shut it up. It will be great if Synology resolves this issue somehow.  

Bottom line - I am more than happy with the product, the services and the features. 

Notes:
[1] My requirements for a NAS:

  • I really need: Reliable 1G wired LAN; USB 3.0; at least 1TB to share (user level, Samba share) and sync files ("Dropbox-like"); rsync/backup  user data from some Linux/Windows machines at home; SSH access. I had something like this running on Raspberry Pi with the obvious disadvantages of 100M LAN and USB 2.0.
  • I do not care about: iTunes, DNLA, BitTorrent, Photo Galleries-like features or Media centers, wireless connection. I am particularly NOT interested from hardware bounded backup solutions. Having an own VPN was real issue few years ago. Now, every router, NAS, or microwave oven comes with such (that one is perfect to run on a RPi).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

DS216j is quite slow NAS. If budget is so tight I would go for DS116 instead and buy external backup drive. Usually SPAN.COM gives discount when asking directly.

Uncle Scrooge said...

Honestly, I have to agree with you. DS116 would have been better choice, indeed.